Philosophy for 8U Hockey
This program will focus on more intensive skating and skill development while offering the parents an easier schedule for practices and games. Here are some facts about the program:
- FUN- hockey should be made as fun for the player as possible.
- The program will focus on a 3-to-1 practice to games ratio.
- The kids should love to come to the rink whether it is for practice or for a game.
- Skating skills will be the emphasis with puck skills secondary.
- Kids should be kept active as much as possible by dividing into small groups and running separate drills.
- Practice ice should be run like a clinic environment. Players will be split up into groups and will work in stations.
The program will have a limit of 60-70 players divided into six teams for the both the skill session and the cross ice/half ice games. Teams will skate twice per week once on Friday evening and again on Sunday morning. The season runs from October through February.
- Friday 5:45 pm
- Sunday 6:45 am
The schedule is based on a repeating two-week schedule. Players participating in this program will have more opportunities to develop than in the past. The scheduling format will is listed below:
- Week 1 – 1 Practice (Friday) and 1 Practice (Sunday)
- Week 2 – 1 Practice (Friday) and 1 Game (Sunday)
- Week 3 – 1 Practice (Friday) and 1 Practice (Sunday)
- Week 4 - 1 Practice (Friday) and 1 Game (Sunday)
- Repeat the same schedule throughout the season.
Cross-ice/half-ice games will be run on continuous time for approximately 20 minutes for each game. All games will use 1/3 or half of the ice and utilize the 1/3 or medium size nets. There will be no stoppage of time and no face offs. If a goal is scored, the coach will immediately place another puck in play. The timekeeper will sound the horn every 2 minutes and the teams will change lines on the fly. Goalies will be used as much as possible with players rotating to play goalie on a weekly basis. After the 20 minutes for the first game have expired, teams will rotate to play one of the other teams. This will be repeated again after 20 minutes for the final rotation of the week.
Teams will be named Bowie 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 and receive a home and away jersey along with hockey socks.
All players will be required to participate in the assessments for the Atom/Mite level.
The focus of the in-house league will be development of the younger or less experienced player. USA Hockey advocates cross-ice/half-ice hockey for the younger player because the player will experience:
- More touches of the puck
- More shooting, passing and scoring opportunities
- More changes in direction, improving skating skills
- More action for goaltenders due to increased shooting
- Less stopping of play for more game action and fun.
Here is a list of what you need. BHC has equipment to loan for the sessions to get you started.
You will need the following to play hockey:
Helmet with face mask